Sunday, April 11, 2010

Favorite Memories/ Things I Like

This post is... going to be a bit whimsical, but C.S. Lewis said that one of the strongest defenses against worldliness, is liking something without the least bit of a care about what others think about it. So, while I can't say that this is deeply spiritual in a direct way, I do think that the things we like that we don't care what anybody thinks about has some spiritual value, in a very practical way. Honestly, I've spent a great deal of time thinking about the bad stuff: the mistakes, the pain, all the garbage in my life, but not so much time looking at my happiest moments, and the things that I can honestly say, I really like. So here goes.

1) There was an invitation-only tournament that I was invited to, as the cream of high school chess players. Honestly, the first day I washed out. I lost all three games that day. What I like, is that the next day I came back and beat the two highest rated players in the tournament. The first game was a marathon- I'm pretty sure we used the vast majority of the six hours or so alloted for the game, because we were both in time trouble, but I pulled it off. The second game was a thing of beauty. I don't believe I've played a more beautiful chess game in my whole life. To come back and play spoiler, after my chances of winning the tournament were obliterated, to be honest, I'm more proud of the tenacity I showed that day than anything else I've done, except for graduating from college.

2) I split a state title in chess. The competition in this tournament wasn't as concentrated as the one I just mentioned, but I trained a long time for this, and I still consider that a significant accomplishment. I think it was in this moment, that I realized the value of being really good at something.

3) I saw my favorite geyser-Artimesia- twice. Oh my word, that is a beautiful sight. In the natural world, I don't believe there is anything more
beautiful. The first time I waited for three hours, and was starting to leave when it went off- I almost missed it. The second time, I arrived just as it was starting. Considering that there is a huge variation in how frequently it goes off- it is impossible to predict even remotely accurately- I think God's hand was in it. And, I am very thankful to have seen such a marvel twice, and I look forward to seeing it again some day.

4) Skating the Rideaux Canal. For some reason, this pops up for me as a favorite memory. That was beautiful.

5) Beating a bully at school for the last chess team spot- twice!

6) Shopping/hanging out at Powell Books. That book store, along with the technical book store nearby, is one of my favorites. Book stores are cool, but Powell's is something else...

7) Bicycling really fast. There are two moments that stand out in this regard. Neither are moments I intend to repeat in exactly the same way, but they are still significant. One, going down the hill near my house. I crashed by missing the turn, but my speedometer said I was going 50. 50! The other time, was when I was going down the hill on the other side of Summit on the way to the beach. My speedometer said I was going 30! I was in the middle of the road, and am fortunate I didn't get killed by a logging truck. Still, that was memorable.

8) Succeeding in biking to and from the coast. I remember when I finished a 60 mile trek from Philomath, through Summit and Siuslaw, to Newport, and finally to Beverly Beach. I tell you, there are VERY few accomplishments that are comparable. Oh, it felt good to run my own vacation this way-I didn't just bike to the coast, I biked there with my bike loaded for bear, making the feat more satisfying. It felt good to know I was capable of biking that distance, particularly with all the hills between here and the coast. I wish I was in that kind of shape now.

9) Running the Race to Robbie Creek- twice! That half marathon is grueling. I guess that's the only one comparable to 8).

10) Eating out at Romano's Grill while I was hospitalized, and having "Happy Birthday" sung to me in Italian by an aspiring operatic singer, studying such at PSU. That was marvelous. I also enjoyed eating Italian both times I was in San Fransisco- South Beach has fantastic Italian food, and when I heard about South Beach while I was taking a tour of the area in 2007, I knew I just had to have an authentic Italian food experience, and I did on that trip. The tour guide mentioned a "Rocco's Cafe," and in my more recent trip, I got to go there. It was awesome, too. I guess, if I'm going to eat out really fancy, Italian is what comes to mind. I guess, that's just one of my quirks.

11) Visiting Cal-Berkeley. That was cool. I've decided I want to do graduate studies there, and so I have my work cut out for me. Nevertheless, that is where I believe I'm going to get my master's from.

12) Visiting The Mission, in Vacaville, California. I really believe this is where my next spiritual home is, and it is where I want to put roots. If nothing else, when I get accepted to Cal-Berkeley, I want to move down there and go to church there.

13) Listening to Graham Cooke speak. I've been fortunate to go to several conferences where he has spoken, and I've enjoyed all of them. I love how he describes the life of faith, about... what is possible in the Christian life. He's my spiritual hero.

14) Texas Holdem'. I love that game. Not a whole lot of accomplishments there yet, but maybe at some point I'll take a crack at it. I'd love to see just how good I am at this.

There you have it. I know it isn't a complete list, but a lot of very happy memories are contained in this list. It is by no means comprehensive, but I think I got the most significant highlights. I think, these things are what make me... well, me. And, I think I like myself, just the way I am.

Sincerely,
Sean

No comments: