Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Faith and Grumbling

I was reading the bible chapters for my devotional, at that moment through the book of Exodus, and something struck me that I felt I needed to share about.  It's the fact that no matter how many times the Lord provides for us, we still struggle with the next instance in which we need help.

It's funny... when you read Exodus you see a people struggling with faith.  They've seen God provide for them over and over, and yet the next time there's a need they grumble all over again, saying (in effect) "God, no matter how often you provide for me, I still think you've abandoned me now- I don't think you are trustworthy."  I want to criticize these people... I want to tell them "Come on!  You saw how God delivered you out of Egypt, and all the other minor deliverances God has done.  Why are you grumbling now?"  Now, to be fair, I wasn't a slave in Egypt watching God doing all those miracles... so I have more cause to be afraid than they did.  HOWEVER, I have seen God deliver me out of multiple situations.  So then... why am I so afraid of whether the next deliverance will come?

I think... it's normal to wonder about God's provision, and maybe even be a little fearful, as God tests you by making you wait.  Regardless of how hard it is though, I think IT'S CRUCIAL to remember all the times God got you out of a jam in the past, and to draw on that in your current circumstances.  We must be people of faith!  And I question the depth of your faith if God has never gotten you out of a jam... that is the hallmark of the Christian faith, that God can be trusted.  We must trust the living God and know that he has a plan for us, that he will deliver us in his timing and not our own.

Next time you are in a situation where you need God's help... try to remember how God delivered you in the past.  And if you can, grumble as little as possible.  I do think God can handle our honesty if we are angry at him, but telling God "I don't trust you" is not going to acquire favor from the Lord for you.  Believe!  And trust in God's timing.  For God has a plan... he'll take care of us... but in his timing, not ours.  We must learn to trust and not grumble that God won't help us or that we were better off back in bondage.  Let us trust the Lord in all things, and believe his promises.  Our God is great.  Let us trust him in all things.


No comments: