Friday, February 26, 2021

Thoughts on the Value of Human Life

Miss Lady Gaga,

First of all, let me reiterate that I'm sorry you lost your dogs.  I truly am.  As someone whose family has had pets, I know that losing one or more of them is not unimportant.  I'm not trying to tell you you shouldn't grieve their loss, or be sad over what happened.  It matters.

I guess... when you say someone "risked their life" dealing with a man with a gun trying to protect your dogs... do you think that's a good thing?

I'm not saying you shouldn't appreciate the gesture.  But privately, you should admonish this man that no dog is worth a human life.  None.  Not saying they don't have some value- they do- but not anything close to a human life.

As I tried to say, my family has had pets.  Over the course of my life, my parents are now on their third dog, and have had... 5-6 cats.  Every time a pet passes away, we grieve.  It's sad.  However, at no point do we think that losing a pet is equal to, say, my brother or one of my sisters passing.  We never equate that.

A human has much more to give to the world than a dog, or even two dogs.  A human can get married, have kids, and be a source of love to so many people.  Never, should a man or woman be willing to sacrifice their life to save the lives of dogs, even if they knew the person kidnapping the dogs was going to kill the dogs.  Dogs just aren't worth it.

I hope this helps put your loss in perspective.  People lose sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, every day.  Those are much more significant losses, and worth dying to try to prevent.  No dog should have that much value in it's owner's eyes.  Dogs come and go.  People tend to have much more staying power.  No man should give up his life for a dog.  End of subject.  I realize my timing may not be perfect- I'm not sure when to post this.  But... it really bugs me that you think it is cool that a man risked his life trying to save your pooches.  Dogs do matter, but... they most certainly are not worth dying for.

Sincerely,

Sean Zlatnik 

No comments: